I had the chance today to take in a sci-fi costume exhibit
at the Halifax Museum of Natural History
. The Out of This World: Extraordinary Costumes from Film and Television features more than 40 costumes and related objects from science fiction films and television programs such as Star Wars, Blade Runner, Terminator, Star Trek, Batman and more. The exhibition allows visitors to examine how costume design incorporates colour, style, scale, materials, historical traditions nature and cultural cues to help performers and audiences engage with the characters being portrayed.
The exhibition includes 43 film artifacts including:
- The leather jacket worn by Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator
- The outfit worn by Daryl Hannah when she played the replicant Pris in one of my all time favorite films Blade Runner
- Embroidered robe worn by actor Joe Turkel as Eldon Tyrell, creator of the replicants, in Blade Runner (1982)
- The tunic and sash worn by William Shatner as Captain Kirk in the Star Trek episode “Mirror Mirror” (1967)
- The mask, tunic, and gloves worn by Bobby Clark and Gary Coombs as the Gorn who fought Captain Kirk in the Star Trek episode “Arena” (1966)
- Leather jacket worn by Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) and Indy’s whip from the film Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
For a sci-fi fan such as myself this was a memorable experience. I really enjoyed seeing the Gorn and the costumes from Balde Runner. The exhibition will be on view May 18 through August 26. If it ever comes to your hometown it’s definitely worth checking out.
Out of This World: Extraordinary Costumes
Replicant Pris from Blade Runner
Captain Kirk and the Gorn
The Terminator jacket worn by Arnold Schwarzenegger