Just placed an order for the ArduCopter 3DR-C Quad from Canada Drones. I went with this design for a couple reasons: 1) it’s a DIY kit, and 2) the Arducopter comes with a great deal of user support. It’s a true DIY quad and I’m looking forward to getting it set up.
The costs were $510 for the kit, $80 HST, and $28.69 for shipping. A grand total of $619.49.
I gave a lot of thought to the DJI Phantom but in the end I’m doing this for the experience of building and flying my own quadcopter. Plus I like the idea of having a vehicle I can customize and build on in the future.
It comes with everything I need to get started including:
- 3DR ArduCopter Quad-C Frame
- 2 Fiberglass Main frame boards
- 5 Aluminum arms, 3 black arms and 2 blue arms
- 2 Fiberglass Carrier boards
- Fiberglass Landing gear
- Power distribution board, power cables and signal cables for PDB-APM
- All hardware needed to assemble the components above
- 4 Motors 850Kv
- 4 20A ESCs
- 4 Propellers 10X45
- ArduPilot Mega 2 (APM2.5)
Once I have it put together it should (hopefully) look something like this: