Home/Rehtaeh Parsons/Death threat charges dropped

Death threat charges dropped

Last week I met with Crown Attorney Eric Taylor and we went over the death threat case that was to begin today. The threats were made on my YouTube channel in August, 2013. At the time I took the threats seriously enough to contact the Halifax police and file a report. This is the threat made by YouTube user iamkarma902:

02jun15-threat01

If you check user iamkarma902 you’ll see his account “has been suspended due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube’s policy prohibiting content designed to harass, bully or threaten.” Obviously.

The problem with any kind of complaint made regarding digital media platforms is the difficultly proving who actually was at the keyboard when it happened. I understand that. In this case it was one of three people but impossible to know exactly which one. The IP address came back to the right house but the post came from whom exactly? Not an easy thing to prove.

On one hand it could have been the male in the photo giving a thumbs up and smiling as he rapes Rehtaeh. It was his YouTube account the threat was associated with and the IP went to his house, but was he the one who typed it? Maybe? Maybe not?

It could have been him, or it could have been his father. Dad also has a YouTube account and like his son he uses it to plaster filth about Rehtaeh every chance he gets. It’s usually the same post over and over – “she was’t raped… she lied.” He posted it on the Facebook page that was created to support the males who raped Rehtaeh and he says the same crap on YouTube.

02jun15-threat02

He’s also the the Canadian Forces member who used a DND computer to edit the WikiPedia page about Rehtaeh and change my words to make it seem like I thought his son was having consensual sex with Rae instead of raping her.

Bad, but not as bad as the comments he left on the site of sexual assault advocate and prevention educator Julie LaLonde who wrote about Rehtaeh and for her effort received, in part, this comment from the same IP as the death threat:

02jun15-threat03

Yes, that’s the kid’s father. He’s written similar crap on my site using either the same home computer or a DND computer located at CFB Shearwater (my old base). His comments read, “…(Rehtaeh) was sick after her 3-some” and “Buyer’s remorse? caught in the act, simply doing what she loved and was embarassed that more people would find out what kind of person she was turning out to be?”

Yeah, Rehtaeh is the one who should have been embarrassed in all this.

When her name was banned from publication we started a social media campaign “Rehtaeh Parsons is her name” in an attempt to pressure the government and get the ban lifted. In the end it was successful but that didn’t stop “wonder dad” here from posting this on Facebook:

02jun15-threat04rape culture and misogyny.

So it might have been “mini-me” (the son), or it might have been the father. I would say 50/50 but it unfortunately the malice doesn’t end there.

Following Rehtaeh’s death the older sister of “smilie” in the photo showed up to add her name to the ever growing list of tormentors. She started the Facebook page “Support the Boys” (a page that actually outed their names) as well as the “Rehtaehded Parsons” page. She was also behind the campaign to plaster posters all over Halifax that essentially called Rehtaeh a liar. The sister posted some of them in front of Rehtaeh’s home just to make sure everyone knew she was raised by the same man who raised the rapist.

02jun15-threat05

Today the charges were dropped and to be honest I couldn’t sit in a courtroom and say it was the son, the father, or the name-dropping sister who wrote that death threat. I do know it wasn’t the mother who didn’t even know her son was being investigated until the police told her they closed the case and she wondered, as we did, “what case?

Today the judge placed him on a one-year peace bond that restricts him from having any contact with me or Rehtaeh’s mom. I’m not sure if that covers his dad or sister. I hope so but I doubt it.

If he breaks it who would know either way?

One of Rehtaeh’s friends recently told us she ran into “him” in a bar downtown. He stared at her until she felt so unsafe she asked a doorman for help. But he’s out there, hanging around bars in Halifax, leering at women, his identity fully protected so he can get on with what he intends to do next.

By | 2016-10-21T21:43:04+00:00 June 2nd, 2015|Categories: Rehtaeh Parsons|Tags: , , , , , , |17 Comments

17 Comments

1. graphicsgeezer June 19, 2015 at 10:16 pm

As the father of a daughter of a similar age I don’t know how you’re able to cope with her loss and the contemptible people who make threats and dishonour her name. You are a shining example of how a father should act. I don’t know how you can be so strong.

• Glen June 20, 2015 at 7:55 am

Thank you. Appreciate your words, especially this weekend.

2. Yyy June 12, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Glenn, the way you have carried yourself throughout this whole thing and presented yourself leave me without any doubt that you were a beautiful father to Rahtea and are a beautiful human being. I have no doubt that Rahtea was just like you. You honor her gracefully. That said I hope that with time you will find peace in your life and be able to move on. That said I hope that with time you will find peace in your life and be able to move on. The boys involved the father their sister they are the ones that have to live in that place that can never be good. They will forever remember, especially the boy that hurt her, what happened that night, and that will carry into his own life.

3. Andystarr June 5, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I’m so sorry our justice system has failed you and Rethaeh. If I feel this angry and helpless over the government and society, I cannot imagine what you must go through every day.

4. Sharon June 4, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I can’t believe the military father is not being reprimanded by the military for his actions.

5. Renee Munroe June 4, 2015 at 7:59 am

Glen, I am sending positivity and kindness your way. Never stop honoring your daughter.

6. MG June 3, 2015 at 10:30 am

I am 100% with you and your daughter. Continue to honor her memory and fight for a better world. Because of persons like, we may have it one day.

7. merle48 June 3, 2015 at 10:12 am

You have endured so much that no one should have to. My prayers for your continued healing. “People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.” ~Edith Wharton

8. Claire Samson June 3, 2015 at 8:18 am

Your day is coming, be prepared you miserable bastards.

9. Donna June 3, 2015 at 6:48 am

There are no words….

10. Marie J. Connors June 2, 2015 at 8:44 pm

My heart aches for all of you ..Karma is a powerful thing ..and it will come to them ..God love Rehtaeh ..safe in the arms of Jesus, not to be tormented or hurt again ..Prayers ..

11. pearl hebert June 2, 2015 at 7:02 pm

this is totally disgusting if the death threat came from that house they should have all been charged until the one that did it confessed maybe one did it or all 3 that is how people end up dead because they get away with it ince too often and i cannot see how he was not dismissed from the military for using there equipment that way i feel they are supporting him when they should be getting rid of him

12. Rob June 2, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Eventually, he (they) will make an even bigger mistake and will be brought to justice.

13. jen June 2, 2015 at 4:55 pm

God, I am so sorry. Just sorry that we live in a society where these unthinkable (and profoundly unacceptable) things are happening.

14. Susan Purdy June 2, 2015 at 4:54 pm

You are an inspiration. I will never forget Rehtaeh.

15. Christine June 2, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for the truth, hard to come by these days, sadly. Namaste.

• Glen Canning June 3, 2015 at 8:02 am

Namaste Christine. Thank you.

Comments are closed.